Title: "A Layman's
Introduction to Scripture"
Speaker - Ed Riely
Ed is a member of the Retreat Leadership Committee.
Outline of Talk
- Catholics haven't read the Bible. There are right and wrong ways
to study scripture.
- Until 1451, only priests and monks had Bibles.
- Later, societies used Old Testament stories to justify atrocities
against their fellow men.
- (A scripture quiz: several questions.)
- It's been said that speechwriters, scriptwriters, etc., draw upon
scriptural references for most of their ideas.
- Suggestion: Take all the Bibles in your house, keep those that have
sentimental value, and give away the rest of them.
- We've been inhibited from reading the Bible. It's got 1,500
pages; it has some horrific passages; the print is often small.
Also, different versions of the Bible read differently.
- Some people like a today's-English style, while others prefer the
(The notes of this outline were taken by David
G. Price. They were wordprocessed by Patrick Lyons.
These notes may not be reproduced without the written permission of the
This page was last edited on August 09, 2003 by Patrick Lyons.)